Internet Purchase Exchange Locations
Always exercise caution when conducting independent sales transactions. Individuals purchasing or selling goods online or through other classified ads are encouraged to consider the following to help keep you safe.
Safe Exchange Location: The Champaign Police Department Lobby, as well as two designated parking spots under constant surveillance on the north side of the building, are open 24 hours a day for residents to exchange goods sold through online sites and/or classified ads. These locations are made available for those that desire a safe, secure site to arrange an independent sales transaction.
- Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home. Insist on a secure, public meeting place.
- Tell a friend or family member details of the transaction, and if possible, have someone accompany you.
- Take your cell phone along if you have one.
- Never give out financial information (bank account, debit card information, etc).
- Only use cash or money orders to complete your transaction.
- Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person and never wire funds.
- Be especially careful buying/selling high value items.
- Complete the transaction during daylight hours.
- Trust your instincts when discussing the purchase of items and when meeting someone to conduct a sales transaction. If it sounds like a scam, it probably is.
Visit Craigslist for additional safety information and personal safety online.