Youth Police Explorer Post 258
Champaign Police Youth Police Explorer Post 258 is a program geared towards youth and young adults, ages 14-20 years old, who are interested in careers in law enforcement. In this program, participants gain a greater understanding of various law enforcement professions and have a chance to explore them first hand.
- Build confidence, discipline, teamwork, and social skills
- Gain first-hand knowledge of the challenges, duties, and responsibilities of a police officer
- Receive valuable classroom instruction and hands-on training
- Discover if law enforcement is the career for you
As a member of Explorer Post #258, participants will participate in community service activities and train in multiple areas, including building searches, traffic stops, accident investigation, firearms training, drug awareness, leadership, handcuffing, control tactics, use of force, arrest/search/seizure, and evidence collection/processing.
General Requirements of Youth Police Explorer Post:
- 14-20 years old
- Must remain in good academic standing (“C” average or better)
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Parental approval must be obtained, if under 18 years old
In order to remain in good standing with the Explorer Post, members must:
- Attend regular meetings (every other Thursday)
- Maintain a passing GPA
- Perform community service
- All other requirements as assigned
CPD Explorer Application
Applications for the Explorer Program are accepted year round, with new orientation hosted in the Spring of each year. Applications will be kept on file and applicants will be contacted when the next orientation session nears.
Completed, signed applications can be mailed to/dropped off at:
Champaign Police Department
ATTN: Youth Police Explorer Post 258
82 E. University Ave.
Champaign, IL 61820
Or emailed to:
For more information about the Police Explorer Program, contact Officer Mike Talbott at 217-403-6911.