Use of Force Review
The Champaign Police Department closely monitors and analyzes each and every incident where force is used by our officers, and defines use of force as any force beyond normal handcuffing techniques–including low levels of force required to secure an offender that is tensing up or pulling an arm away during an arrest.
The use of force review serves to ensure that the use of any force is based upon reasonableness in accomplishing a lawful task and is in accordance with the Department’s value system of “service through trust, integrity and respect.”
Annual Use of Force Reports
The Champaign City Council is provided an annual report that outlines force used and if there are any trends, training needs or potential policy modifications.
Most calls for service are handled by Champaign Police without any force used, with the most recent data reflecting that in 2016, 99.76% of calls for service were resolved without the use of force.
- 2018 Annual Use of Force Report
- 2017 Annual Use of Force Report
- 2016 Annual Use of Force Report
- 2015 Annual Use of Force Report
- 2014 Annual Use of Force Report
Use of Force Review Committee
The Chief of Police appoints a pool of Department members, and effective September 2017, six citizen representatives, to serve on the Use of Force Review Committee. Department appointees are assigned for a period of (1) year and citizen representatives serve no more than two consecutive year terms.
Committee members review all relevant facts, circumstances, and information related to specific incidents where force is used. Citizen representatives serve in an individual and advisory capacity and focus on ensuring that the process is thorough, fair, and sensitive to community concerns about police use of force.
The Committee consists of the following representatives, appointed by the Chief of Police:
- Citizen Member: Greg Connor
- Citizen Member: Elizabeth Perrachione
- Citizen Member: Eric Burton
- Citizen Member: Christopher Benton
- Citizen Member: Kenton Elmore
- Citizen Member: Jonathan Livengood
- Police Representative: Deputy Chief Troy Daniels
- Police Representative: Lieutenant Mark Vogelzang
- Police Representative: Lieutenant Nathan Rath
- Police Representative: Sergeant Geoffrey Coon
- Police Representative: Sergeant Aaron Lack
- Police Representative: Sergeant Matthew Crane
- Police Representative: Sergeant John Lieb
- Police Representative: Officer Shane Standifer
- Police Representative: Officer Chris Aikman
- Police Representative: Officer Justin Prosser
- Police Representative: Officer Randy Beach
Use of Force Review Committee Monthly Reports
- March 2018; April 2018; May 2018; June 2018; July 2018; August 2018; September 2018; October 2018; November 2018; December 2018
- January 2019; February 2019; March 2019; April 2019; May 2019; June 2019; July 2019; August 2019; September 2019; October/November 2019; December 2019
Learn more about the Use of Force Review Committee: