Security Camera Registration Program
The Champaign Police Department is committed to using technology to increase public safety in the community and has created a free, voluntary private security camera registration program that is open to citizens and businesses. The program is designed to deter crime and promote public safety through a partnership between area residents and businesses and the Champaign Police Department.
Security cameras frequently provide valuable evidence that assists in solving criminal investigations. When a serious crime is committed near an address with a registered security camera system, officers from the Champaign Police Department may contact the registered camera system owner and request to see any available video. The registration program is completely voluntary, and even participants registered in the program can determine later whether or not to share their video with police. Contact information provided as part of your registration will not be used for any other purpose unless otherwise required to comply with applicable law or compelled by court order.
PLEASE NOTE: REGISTERING WITH THIS PROGRAM DOES NOT GRANT THE CHAMPAIGN POLICE DEPARTMENT DIRECT ACCESS TO YOUR SECURITY CAMERA(S) OR SECURITY CAMERA SYSTEM.
The registration process takes less than a minute. As part of registration you must:
- Provide the street address of the installed security camera
- Include contact information for the owner or operator of the camera
- Describe the security camera system, including model information and potential views
If you would prefer to fill out a registration form and mail or hand deliver it, the registration form can be printed by clicking here. All mailed registration forms can be sent to:
Champaign Police Department
Attention: Camera Registration
82 East University Avenue
Champaign, Illinois, 61820
The Champaign Police Department’s Security Camera Registration Program is designed to use technology to deter crime and promote public safety.
Accordingly, all Security Camera Registration Program participants agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Your registration form and any video provided to the City is a public record under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (“FOIA”) (5 ILCS 140/1 et al). The City may be required to disclose such records pursuant to FOIA and other applicable laws and rules. The City will assert the exemptions as allowed by law, and this may allow the City to withhold certain information from disclosure.
- Generally, camera owners will not be required to testify in court regarding video they elect to provide.
- Under no circumstances shall registrants construe that they are acting as an agent and/or employee of the Champaign Police Department through the Camera Registration Program.
- Registering your device will not grant direct access to your camera or camera system to the Champaign Police Department as part of this program.
- If necessary, the Champaign Police Department will contact you directly, using the information provided on the registration form, to request video evidence relevant to a criminal investigation.
- Absent a court order, the registrant may deny access to the video or video system.
- At any time, the registrant can request the Champaign Police Department remove their registration data from the Security Camera Registration database by sending an email to [email protected].
By clicking the button below, users indicate acceptance of the above terms and conditions, and wish to proceed with camera registration.