Police Body Cameras
Champaign Police welcomed the use of body-worn cameras in the spring of 2017 to aid in capturing audio and video recordings of daily police-citizen interactions.
The below resources, including an educational video, FAQ, and policy documents, are provided to give residents a greater awareness of body camera functions and limitations, and CPD’s guidelines around use, privacy and storage.
Frequently Asked Questions
- an encounter resulting in a detention or an arrest;
- a formal or informal complaint is filed as a result of a police encounter;
- an officer is the subject of an internal investigation;
- an officer discharged his/her firearm or used force during an encounter;
- death or great bodily harm occurred to any person;
- the video has evidentiary value in a criminal prosecution;
- the recording officer personally requests that the video is flagged.
Policy and Reports
- July 2016 Report to Council: Champaign Police Body Cameras and In-Car Video Purchase: