Community Police Academy
The Champaign County Community Police Academy is offered in cooperation by the Champaign County Sheriff’s Office, University of Illinois Police Department, Urbana Police Department, Rantoul Police Department, Mahomet Police Department, Parkland Public Safety, Troop 7 of the Illinois State Police, Police Training Institute, and Champaign Police Department.
Goals of Community Police Academy
- Provide stronger citizen-police relationships
- Enhance lines of communication with our public
- Reduce crime in our communities
Benefits to Champaign County Residents
- Gain a better understanding of the structure and operations of local law enforcement agencies
- Work closely together with police officers and provide input, assistance, and support around community concerns
- Improve lines of communication between police and community
- Make better informed decisions regarding police functions, operations, and issues faced in the community
- Develop solutions to help reduce crime in our communities
Fall 2023 Academy
The Community Police Academy is held once a year and consists of three-hour blocks of instruction conducted weekly over a nine-week period. Classes are held on Wednesdays from 6 – 9 PM at the Police Training Institute, located at 1004 S. Fourth St, Champaign. The Fall 2023 Community Police Academy will be held from Wednesday, September 13 through November 8.
Each evening of instruction is designed to not only inform participants of various crime issues, but also seeks participant ideas for possible solutions. Instruction is provided by Police Training Specialists from PTI as well as officers and trainers from participating agencies. Graduates of the program will receive a certificate of completion.
Topics of Instruction
- Orientation to Law Enforcement and Police Training
- Tour of the Champaign County Jail and METCAD
- K-9, SWAT, and Bomb Squad Demos
- Ride-along with Local Police Department
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Community Policing
- Judicial System
- Courts, Police and DUI
- Control & Arrest Tactics
- Use of Force
- Traffic Stops
- Crime Stoppers
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal
- Drug Enforcement
- Safety and Neighborhood Crime Watch
To Register for the Fall 2023 Academy:
The City of Champaign has a very limited number of seats available for the Fall 2023 Community police academy. Champaign residents interested in participating in the program can click here to download an application form to express your interest in the program.
Seats will be filled with Champaign residents on a first come, first served basis. Participants must live in Champaign and be at least 18 years of age to qualify for a Champaign Police Department seat at the Academy.
Other Champaign County residents may register for the Community Police Academy by contacting their local Police Department.
- Champaign County Sheriff’s Office
- University of Illinois Police Department
- Urbana Police Department
- Rantoul Police Department
- Mahomet Police Department
- Parkland College Public Safety
Media Inquiries regarding the Champaign County Community Police Academy program should be addressed to:
University of Illinois
Police Training Institute
1004 S. Fourth St.
Champaign, IL 61820