Citizen Police Academy
The Champaign County Citizen Police Academy is offered in cooperation by the Champaign County Sheriff’s Office, University of Illinois Police Department, Urbana Police Department, Rantoul Police Department, Mahomet Police Department, Parkland Public Safety, District 10 of the Illinois State Police, Police Training Institute, and Champaign Police Department.
Goals of Citizen Police Academy
- Provide stronger citizen-police relationships
- Enhance lines of communication with our public
- Reduce crime in our communities
Benefits to Champaign County Residents
- Gain a better understanding of the structure and operations of local law enforcement agencies
- Work closely together with police officers and provide input, assistance, and support around community concerns
- Improve lines of communication between police and community
- Make better informed decisions regarding police functions, operations, and issues faced in the community
- Develop solutions to help reduce crime in our communities
Citizen Police Academy is held once a year and consists of three-hour blocks of instruction conducted weekly over a ten week period. Classes are held on Thursdays from 6 – 9 PM at the Police Training Institute, located at 1004 S. Fourth St, Champaign. Class schedules are announced after the beginning of each year, with instruction beginning in mid-April.
Each evening of instruction is designed to not only inform participants of various crime issues, but also seeks participant ideas for possible solutions. Instruction is provided by Police Training Specialists from PTI as well as officers and trainers from participating agencies. Graduates of the program will receive a certificate of completion.
Topics of Instruction
- Orientation to Law Enforcement and Police Training
- Tour of the Champaign County Jail and METCAD
- K-9, SWAT, and Bomb Squad Demos
- Ride-along with Local Police Department
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Community Policing
- Judicial System
- Courts, Police and DUI
- Control & Arrest Tactics
- Use of Force
- Traffic Stops
- Crime Stoppers
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal
- Drug Enforcement
- Safety and Neighborhood Crime Watch
- Champaign County residents may register for the Citizen Police Academy by contacting their local Police Department.
- City of Champaign residents, call 217-403-6911, or email: [email protected] with registration interest.
- Champaign County Sheriff’s Office
- University of Illinois Police Department
- Urbana Police Department
- Rantoul Police Department
- Mahomet Police Department
- Parkland College Public Safety
Inquiries regarding the Champaign County Citizen Police Academy program should be addressed to:
University of Illinois
Police Training Institute
1004 S. Fourth St.
Champaign, IL 61820