Door-to-Door soliciting in the City of Champaign allows a person to sell goods, take orders, solicit donations, or schedule for services to be furnished or performed in the future.
For the safety of our residents, the City requires individuals conducting door-to-door solicitations to first obtain a City-issued permit. To obtain a permit, an individual must successfully pass a background check and agree to follow all City regulations.
Door-to-Door Solicitors Must:
- Obtain a City-issued permit before conducting any door-to-door solicitations
- Carry their City-issued permit at all times during solicitation
- Show their City-issued permit when requested. The City of Champaign suggests that the permit be proactively shown to residents, upon approach.
- Not solicit upon any property where a “No Soliciting/No Trespass” sign is posted
Note: children under the age of 14, and individuals who are simply distributing literature about a business or organization do not need a City permit.
Hours of Soliciting:
- Per City Code Provision, solicitation is allowable between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Residents Have the Right to:
- Request to see the solicitor’s City issued permit
- Request the solicitor to leave their property
- Report violators to the Police Department
- Always report any suspicious activity to Police
For safety reasons, residents are discouraged from allowing door-to-door solicitors into their homes for any reason.
Questions or Concerns:
- If a solicitor is engaged in suspicious or potentially criminal activity, call 9-1-1
- If a solicitor cannot produce a City-issued license, you may report the encounter by calling non-emergency dispatch at 217-333-8911
- For more info about solicitor licenses, review the Champaign City Code or contact the City’s Finance Department at 217-403-8940