Youth Police Academy
The Champaign Police Department Youth Police Academy is an annual summer outreach program designed to provide youth in the Champaign County area a better understanding of law enforcement practices.
Open to youth aged 12-18, the Academy introduces participants to the field of law enforcement and provides an opportunity for youth and police officers to connect. Students attend a mock police academy involving lectures, role-playing, topical demonstrations, and team building exercises. The Academy includes structured activities designed to highlight the four cardinal work principles of teamwork, leadership, communication, and problem solving/conflict resolution. Participants receive training in the areas of:
- Basic Crime Scene Investigation
- Advanced Crime Scene Investigation*
- Evidence Collection**
- CSI Photography**
- Traffic and Criminal Law*
- Conflict Resolution
- Specialized Units
- Use of Force Principles
- Building Searches*
- Responding to Crimes in Progress*
- Physical Agility Training
- Police-Community Relations*
- Restraint Techniques
- Radio Communication
- Criminal Investigation Procedures
- Advanced Criminal Investigation*
* Advanced Course only
Basic Youth Police Academy: June 12 – 14, 2018, 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Open to students who have completed 6th through 8th grade.
*Advanced Youth Police Academy: July 10 – 12, 2018, 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Open to high school students. This session will expand upon areas previously covered in the Basic curriculum.
Crime Scene Investigation (CSI): July 31 – August 2, 2018, 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Open to students who have completed 6th through 12th grade.
- To register, click here to download and complete a Youth Police Academy Application
- Applications will be accepted through May 15, or until classes fill
- Questions? Contact Officer Robert Wills | Robert.Wills@champaignil.gov | 217.403.6930
- All YPA classes are held at the ILEAS Training Center – 1701 E. Main Street, Urbana