Youth Police Academy
The Champaign Police Department Youth Police Academy is an annual summer outreach program designed to provide youth in the Champaign County area a better understanding of law enforcement practices.
Open to youth aged 12-18, the Academy introduces participants to the field of law enforcement and provides an opportunity for youth and police officers to connect. Students attend a mock police academy involving lectures, role-playing, topical demonstrations, and team building exercises and are trained in the following areas:
- Basic Crime Scene Investigation
- Advanced Crime Scene Investigation*
- Evidence Collection**
- CSI Photography**
- Traffic and Criminal Law*
- Conflict Resolution
- Specialized Units
- Use of Force Principles
- Building Searches*
- Responding to Crimes in Progress*
- Physical Agility Training
- Police-Community Relations*
- Restraint Techniques
- Radio Communication
- Criminal Investigation Procedures
- Advanced Criminal Investigation*
* Advanced Course only
Basic Youth Police Academy
Open to students who have completed 6th through 8th grade.
*Advanced Youth Police Academy
Open to high school students. This session will expand upon areas previously covered in the Basic curriculum.
Crime Scene Investigation (CSI)
Open to students who have completed 6th through 12th grade.
- All classes are held at the ILEAS Training Center – 1701 E. Main Street, Urbana.
- Check back in January for the 2018 class schedule.
- Questions? Contact Officer Robert Wills | Robert.Wills@champaignil.gov