The Code Compliance Division is responsible for enforcing nuisance ordinances.  Inspections are generated through citizen complaints and routine surveys by inspectors.  Once notified by the City, failure to correct the violation will result in the City’s abatement of the violation, with fees charged to the property owner.

Common Nuisances

Over Height Grass & WeedsView Example of Overgrown Weeds

Yard maintenance standards are the responsibility of every property owner and include the maintenance of plant material on private property as well as in any right-of-way around the property. Grass type ground cover must be maintained at a height of eight inches or less.

Overgrown Trees or Vegetation

Plant material other than turf grass in the city right-of-way (parkway) shall not exceed 24-inches in height, with blossoms not in excess of 36-inches in height.

Vegetation, trees or shrubs cannot obstruct the travel of pedestrians upon sidewalks, or vehicles on streets and alleys.  The branches of a tree extending over any public sidewalk, street or other public way should be trimmed to a height of no less than eight feet above the sidewalk and fourteen feet above the street.

Vegetation at intersections must be trimmed so it does not negatively affect traffic or pedestrians safety by impairing the visibility or passage of pedestrians or vehicles.

No Garbage Service

Every property shall have weekly garbage service.  The receptacles for garbage shall be made of galvanized iron, impact resistant plastic, steel or aluminum and be a minimum size of six gallons.  Each receptacle shall be equipped with a close fitting lid.  Trash containers for single and two-family dwellings shall not be placed on the City right-of-way except during the following times: from 3:00 p.m. on the day preceding the day of scheduled garbage pick-up for said containers until 8:00 p.m. on the date of said scheduled pick-up.

Junk, Trash & Debris

Junk, trash and debris cannot be left in the yard and must be properly disposed of. This includes junk auto parts, appliances, furniture, building materials, tires, trash such as discarded paper, cardboard, plastics, etc., and debris such as tree trimmings, fallen limbs or other landscape waste. Generally, any equipment, materials, or furnishings that would ordinarily not be used outdoors may not be stored outdoors.

Inoperative Motor Vehicles

View Example of an Inoperative Motor Vehicle

An inoperative vehicle is a vehicle that does not display a current license tag and/or is not equipped with all parts that are required to legally and safely operate on public streets and/or cannot be driven under its own power.  An inoperative motor vehicle on private property must be stored within a fully enclosed structure completely out of view of the public.

Parking in the Yard

All vehicles must be parked on an approved surface.  Parking is permitted for passenger cars and motorcycles on residential lots only on a legal driveway. A driveway or parking area must be constructed with approved parking surfaces.

How to File a Nuisance Complaint

Registering a complaint about a property can be accomplished by either submitting an online nuisance complaint, or contacting the Neighborhood Services Department at 217-403-7070.

Please note: Complaints related to excessive noise should not be submitted through this form, but should instead be immediately reported to the Champaign Police Department by calling 217-333-8911. Police Officers must witness the noise in order to provide any corrective action.