Neighborhood Code Compliance Division
The Neighborhood Code Compliance Division is responsible for the maintenance and preservation of existing structures in the community through the enforcement of property maintenance codes and coordination of efforts to achieve compliance with the City’s blight and nuisance abatement programs.
In an effort to improve the livability of the Champaign community, the Neighborhood Code Compliance Division provides enforcement services to ensure the health, safety and general welfare of the residents of Champaign.
In this pursuit, the Division proactively enforces the Champaign Municipal Code and International Fire Code, as adopted. These codes establish minimum standards governing the life safety, maintenance, appearance and conditions of all residential and nonresidential premises for the following purposes:
- To establish standards for property maintenance as they relate to protection of the health, safety and general welfare of the public; and
- To enhance and promote the maintenance of real property and improve the livability, appearance, social and economic conditions of the community.
- Address blighting issues such as overgrown vegetation, junk and rubbish and inoperative motor vehicles
- Preserve rental housing and safeguard the health and safety of tenants
- Encourage voluntary compliance
- Support neighborhood programs and housing strategies
- Refer citizens to grants and/or loan programs offered by the City
- Support City Council to craft ordinances to address current community concerns