Apply to become a Champaign Firefighter
Watch the Champaign Fire Department recruitment video “Here to Serve You!”
Champaign Fire Department and Community:
The Champaign Fire Department maintains an eligibility list for the position of probationary firefighter, a full-time position with a starting salary of $58,223. The eligibility list is valid for two years. Click here to view the current Probationary Firefighter Eligibility List. The next testing cycle will begin in fall of 2018. Complete a Job Interest Card to receive notifications and updates about the next testing cycle.
The City of Champaign (pop. 84,513) is a vibrant, prosperous, and diverse community in east-central Illinois. It is the 10th largest city in the state of Illinois and the third largest outside of the Chicago region, conveniently located near Chicago, Indianapolis and St. Louis. At the intersection of education, innovation, and micro-urban living, Champaign offers the appealing combination of small town feel and charm with the cultural and recreational amenities of a major city.
Champaign firefighters engage directly in firefighting, fire prevention, and emergency medical service activities to protect and safeguard lives and property, and assist in maintenance and repair of fire stations and equipment.
- $50.00 non-refundable application fee or submission of fee waiver application;
- U.S. citizen or legally authorized to work in the United States (must meet I-9 requirements);
- Valid driver’s license;
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Less than 35 years of age by the date of the written examination, unless otherwise exempt by state statute, and at least 21 years of age by date of hire;
- Proof of completion of the Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) with any licensed agency issued no more than 12 months prior to the written exam date. CPAT certification must also be valid at the time of conditional offer of employment;
- Provide proof of passing Ladder Climb test with any licensed agency issued no more than 12 months prior to the written exam date. Ladder Climb certification must also be valid at the time of conditional offer of employment;
- No felony convictions and no misdemeanors related to fire/arson.
The City of Champaign is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.