Apply to become a Champaign Firefighter
Champaign Fire Department and Community:
The Champaign Fire Department maintains an eligibility list for the position of probationary firefighter, a full-time position with a starting salary of $68,298. The eligibility list is valid for two years. Click here to view the current Probationary Firefighter Eligibility List.
The City of Champaign (pop. 88,909) is a vibrant, prosperous, and diverse community in east-central Illinois. It is the ninth largest city in the state of Illinois and the fourth largest outside of the Chicago region, conveniently located near Chicago, Indianapolis and St. Louis. At the intersection of education, innovation, and micro-urban living, Champaign offers the appealing combination of small-town feel and charm with the cultural and recreational amenities of a major city.
Champaign firefighters engage directly in firefighting, fire prevention, and emergency medical service activities to protect and safeguard lives and property, and assist in maintenance and repair of fire stations and equipment.
The application period for the eligibility list is now closed. Please check this website in June 2024 for more information on the next cycle.
- Complete application;
- Submit $55.00 non-refundable application fee or apply and qualify for a full application fee waiver;
- Submit required documents:
- Provide proof of a valid Driver’s License;
- Provide proof of a high school diploma or equivalent;
- Signed attestation;
- Be a U.S. Citizen or legally authorized to work in the United States (must meet USCIS Form I-9 requirements at time of hire);
- Be less than 35 years old by the date of the written examination, unless otherwise exempt by state statute, and at least 21 years of age by date of hire;
- Provide proof of completion of Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) with any licensed agency issued no more than 12 months before submission deadline. CPAT certification must also be valid at time of conditional offer of employment;
- Provide proof of passing the Ladder Climb Test with any licensed agency issued no more than 12 months before submission deadline. Ladder Climb certification must also be valid at time of conditional offer of employment;
- Have no felony convictions and no misdemeanors related to fire/arson.
The City of Champaign is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Virtual Information Session
On August 17, 2022, the City held a virtual information session to present information about the department and answer questions from potential applicants. Watch the video below.
Champaign Fire Department’s Adult Explorers Program
The Champaign Fire Department and the Human Resources Department have established a joint recruitment initiative with the Champaign County Regional Planning Commission (RPC) Workforce Development Program.
The Champaign Fire Department Recruitment Team, along with RPC, are committed to providing program participants with a job-specific, comprehensive, interactive, and informational testing preparation experience. The program is structured to educate, mentor, and inform participants on the fire service career and to increase their success of being placed on the next firefighter eligibility list.
To enroll, participants must:
- Reside within the Champaign city limits;
- Receive a referral from the Regional Planning Commission Workforce Development Program located at the East Central Illinois WorkNet Center (1307 N. Mattis Ave, Champaign) or an affiliate;
- Possess a high school diploma or GED equivalency;
- Be between the ages 19-34 years; and
- Possess a driver’s license.
Registration for the Adult Explorers Program is currently closed. Check back next summer for another enrollment opportunity.