Apply to become a Champaign Firefighter
Champaign Fire Department and Community:
The Champaign Fire Department maintains an eligibility list for the position of probationary firefighter, a full-time position with a starting salary of $59,678. The eligibility list is valid for two years. Click here to view the current Probationary Firefighter Eligibility List. The next testing cycle will begin in fall of 2020. Complete a Job Interest Card to receive notifications and updates about the next testing cycle.
The City of Champaign (pop. 86,649) is a vibrant, prosperous, and diverse community in east-central Illinois. It is the 10th largest city in the state of Illinois and the third largest outside of the Chicago region, conveniently located near Chicago, Indianapolis and St. Louis. At the intersection of education, innovation, and micro-urban living, Champaign offers the appealing combination of small town feel and charm with the cultural and recreational amenities of a major city.
Champaign firefighters engage directly in firefighting, fire prevention, and emergency medical service activities to protect and safeguard lives and property, and assist in maintenance and repair of fire stations and equipment.
- Submit $50.00 non-refundable application fee or apply and qualify for a waiver; candidates who complete the written examination will receive an automatic $25.00 refund of the application fee;
- Be a U.S. Citizen or legally authorized to work in the United States (must meet USCIS Form I-9 at time of hire);
- Provide proof of a valid Driver’s License;
- Provide proof of a high school diploma or equivalent;
- Be less than 35 years old by the date of the written examination, unless otherwise exempt by state statute, and at least 21 years of age by date of hire;
- Provide proof of completion of Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) with any licensed agency issued no more than 12 months by December 31, 2018. CPAT certification must also be valid at time of conditional offer of employment;
- Provide proof of passing the Ladder Climb Test with any licensed agency issued no more than 12 months by December 31, 2018. Ladder Climb certification must also be valid at time of conditional offer of employment;
- Have no felony convictions and no misdemeanors related to fire/arson.
The City of Champaign is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Champaign Fire Department’s Adult Explorers Program
The Champaign Fire Department Recruitment Team and the Human Resources Department have established a joint recruitment initiative with the Champaign County Regional Planning Commission (RPC).
The Champaign Fire Department Recruitment Team, along with the RPC, are committed to providing program participants with a job-specific, comprehensive, interactive, and informational testing preparation experience. The program is structured to educate, mentor, and inform participants on the fire service career and to increase their success of being placed on the upcoming 2021–2023 eligibility list.
More information is coming soon about the Adult Explorers Program. Please continue to monitor this site for the latest information.