Sign Permit Applications and Regulations
In order to place a new sign, or replace the face of an existing sign, a sign permit is required prior to installation. Below are links to application forms for the most common types of signs. They can be downloaded, completed, and returned to the City’s Planning and Development Department, with the accompanying fee payment. The fee is $0.15 per square foot or $20, whichever is greater.
- Wall Sign Permit Application
- Freestanding Sign Permit Application
- Canopy or Awning Sign Permit Application
- Projecting Sign Permit Application
- Acknowledgment of Electronic Changing Sign Regulations
Sign Regulations by District
- Temporary Sign Regulations Overview
- Central Business Districts Sign Regulations Overview (CB1, CB2, CB3)
- Commercial General District Sign Regulations Overview (CG, I1, I2, IBP, IOP)
- Commercial Neighborhood District Sign Regulations Overview (CN)
If you prefer, you are welcome to send a picture/drawing of your sign proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org for review prior to formally applying for a permit. You can use the same e-mail address to inquire about what is permitted in a particular district, or call the Planning and Development Department at 217-403-8800.