Installing a Residential Fence
No permit is required to install a fence in the City of Champaign. However, there are a few requirements that need to be followed:
- Contact J.U.L.I.E. BEFORE you Dig! Simply call 811 or visit Illinois1call.com and request that buried utilities be located and “flagged” on your property. This is a free service and helps ensure that you don’t dig where you shouldn’t.
- In the front yard setback area (from the front wall of your house up to the front property line, about 1-foot towards your house from the sidewalk if you have one,) the height limit is 3-feet for a solid fence and 6-feet for a transparent fence.
- Around the rest of the perimeter of your property (side & rear) the height limit is 8-feet.
- Use of barbed wire, electrified fences, or sharp spikes are prohibited.
- You may build your fence right up to the property line, but you must not cross over the line.
- The City of Champaign has no rules regarding which side of a wooden fence faces in or out.