Immigrant Welcome Award Ceremony and Celebration
The Cities of Champaign and Urbana, the CU Immigration Forum, and the Urbana Free Library are proud to co-sponsor the Immigrant Welcome Award Ceremony and Celebration. This event is held in conjunction with Welcoming Week, a national week of events that brings both immigrants and U.S.-born residents together in a spirit of unity and raises awareness of the benefits of fostering an inclusive society. In 2017, the Cities merged the Champaign-Urbana International Humanitarian Awards (CUIHA) with the Immigrant Welcome Award Ceremony, as a new collaborative way to celebrate the accomplishments of local residents and organizations who are positively impacting lives both here and around the world.
The 8th Annual Immigrant Welcome Awards Ceremony and Celebration was held virtually on September 18, 2021. Attendees celebrated the diversity of cultures that make up our community with music and special guests. The event recognized the contributions of individuals and organizations that have created a welcoming atmosphere for immigrants in the Champaign-Urbana community.
2021 Immigrant Welcome Award Recipients
- Business Leadership Award – Maize Mexican Grill
- Community Impact Award – The Immigration Justice Task Force (IJTF) at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Urbana-Champaign (UUCUC)
- Distinguished Leadership Service Awards – Greg Springer
- Immigrant Leadership Award – Korinta Maldonado
- Student Leadership Award – Daniella Di Stefano
- The Claire Szoke Lifetime of Service Award – John Muirhead