2021 MLK Countywide Celebration
The Cities of Champaign and Urbana, the Champaign County Board, Parkland College, Village of Rantoul and the University of Illinois celebrated the legacy of Dr. King at the 20th Annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Countywide Celebration on January 17, 2021 via Zoom.
2021 Award Recipients
- James R. Burgess, Jr. – Susan Freiburg Humanitarian Award – Ricardo Diaz
- Doris Hoskins Prestigious Community Service Award – Karen Simms
- Honorary MLK Countywide Committee Member – Jennifer Roscoe
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Outstanding Achievement Award – Rev. Willie Comer Jr.
Immigrant Welcome Award Ceremony and Celebration
The Cities of Champaign and Urbana, the CU Immigration Forum, and the Urbana Free Library are proud to co-sponsor the Immigrant Welcome Award Ceremony and Celebration. This event is held in conjunction with Welcoming Week, a national week of events that brings both immigrants and U.S.-born residents together in a spirit of unity and raises awareness of the benefits of fostering an inclusive society. In 2017, the Cities merged the Champaign-Urbana International Humanitarian Awards (CUIHA) with the Immigrant Welcome Award Ceremony, as a new collaborative way to celebrate the accomplishments of local residents and organizations who are positively impacting lives both here and around the world.
The 8th Annual Immigrant Welcome Awards Ceremony and Celebration was held electronically on September 18, 2021 at 3:30pm. Everyone celebrated the diversity of cultures that make up our community with music and special guests. The Ceremony recognized the contributions of individuals and organizations that have created a welcoming atmosphere for immigrants in the Champaign-Urbana community.
2021 Immigrant Welcome Award Recipients
- Business Leadership Award – Maize Mexican Grill
- Community Impact Award – The Immigration Justice Task Force (IJTF) at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Urbana-Champaign (UUCUC)
- Distinguished Leadership Service Awards – Greg Springer
- Immigrant Leadership Award – Korinta Maldonado
- Student Leadership Award – Daniella Di Stefano
- The Claire Szoke Lifetime of Service Award – John Muirhead
Watch the 2021 Immigrant Welcome Awards Video
Champaign-Urbana International Humanitarian Awards – (Retired)
From 2002-2016, the Champaign-Urbana International Humanitarian Awards (CUIHA) were held annually to celebrate the achievements of Champaign County residents and organizations making significant contributions to international causes. In 2017, the Cities formed a new collaboration with other local organizations who also honor those involved in humanitarian causes. As a result of this new partnership, the Champaign-Urbana International Humanitarian Awards are now included in the annual Immigrant Welcome Award Ceremony and Celebration, which is detailed above. The merging of these similar award programs reaffirms Champaign-Urbana’s commitment to celebrating both local and international humanitarian efforts. The Cities continue to honor and recognize the achievements of all past CUIHA winners, as well as those who remain committed to improving our global community.