The City of Champaign is saddened by, and condemns the acts of intolerance, hate, and violence occurring across the country against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. These types of intolerable actions against anyone are unacceptable, including members of Champaign-Urbana’s valued Asian American and Pacific Islander communities. If anyone experiences these discriminatory or violent acts they are asked to report them so they can be investigated. Below is a list of local and national resources that may be useful:
Report Violence to Law Enforcement: Call 9–1–1
Discrimination/Human Rights Violations in Champaign – Contact the City of Champaign’s Office of Equity, Community and Human Rights – 217-403-8830, email@example.com, or visit Champaign’s website for information about filing a complaint.
Discrimination/Human Rights Violations in Urbana – Contact the City of Urbana’s Human Relations Office at 217-384-2455, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit Urbana’s website for information about filing a complaint.
More Local Resources
- New American Welcome Center (NAWC) (Chinese-speaking staff)
— Multilingual Helpline: 217-417-5897
— Chinese Community Navigators: email@example.com
— NAWC Chinese Facebook Page: facebook.com/chinese.nawc
- The Refugee Center (Vietnamese-speaking staff) – 217-344-8455
Tools & Resources
- Safety Tips for Those Experiencing or Witnessing Hate – Stop AAPI Hate –English, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Korean, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Hindi, Bengali
- Addressing Anti-Immigrant Bias in Times of Uncertainty (Webinar recording) Resources and strategies for educators to help address the wave of anti-immigrant and anti-Asian bias that has spread with the COVID-19 pandemic (Anti-Defamation League)
- Asian Mental Health Collective – Asian, Pacific Islander, and South Asian American (APISAA) Therapist Directory, International and Crisis hotlines
- Confronting Prejudice: How to Protect Yourself and Help Others (Pepperdine University)