With today’s snowfall, and as fall turns to winter, the Champaign Police Department reminds the community to remain alert, cautious and safe when traveling during inclement winter weather conditions.
SAFETY TIPS FOR DRIVING SAFELY:
- Before you leave, check the latest weather conditions along your planned travel route.
- Try and avoid traveling in low visibility conditions. If you must, turn on your lights to increase your visibility to other motorists.
- Drive slower and increase your following distance. Your speed should be adjusted for the conditions and match the flow of traffic.
- Be especially careful on bridges, overpasses and infrequently traveled roads, which will freeze first.
- Avoid distractions while driving, i.e., your telephone. Your full focus should be on the road.
- When visibility is impacted, try to remain aware of specialty zones (construction, accident and schools).
- If you must travel long distances, let someone know your destination and when you expect to arrive. Ask them to notify authorities if you are late.
- Have a winter storm survival kit in your car (as well as your home). The kit should include, at minimum, a cell phone and charger, blankets, flashlight, water, first-aid kit and high-calorie, non-perishable foods.
- If stranded, pull as far off the road as possible, set your hazard lights to flashing and hang a colored cloth to your antenna. Remain in your vehicle until help arrives.
SAFETY TIPS FOR PEDESTRIANS:
- Dress for the occasion. Wear proper footwear and clothing that helps you to be seen, but do not wear clothing that restricts your vision.
- Do not listen to music while traveling on foot. Pedestrians need to remain alert and aware to their surroundings.
- Take sidewalks whenever possible. Cars more susceptible to slipping in winter conditions.
- Use caution when crossing roadways and always cross at designated crosswalks.
- Be aware of overhead hazards, such as falling ice.
- Inform someone where you are heading and let them know once you have safely arrived.
Reaching your destination safely should always be your top consideration. If you are not comfortable with the state of the roads or winter conditions, take caution and do not drive or travel by foot.
Source: State of Illinois Emergency Management Agency; Winter Storm Preparedness Guide