The Champaign Fire Department is partnering with the Champaign Park District to provide fire department personnel with water rescue training on the mornings of June 6, 7 and 8, at Sholem Aquatic Center, 2205 Sangamon Drive, Champaign. Champaign Park District employees, along with fire department instructors, will lead skill stations designed to simulate a surface water rescue and reinforce cervical immobilization and victim removal skills.
The Champaign Fire Department reminds residents to take these safety precautions when in and around water.
- Always swim with a buddy; do not allow anyone to swim alone.
- Swim in designated areas supervised by lifeguards.
- Learn how to recognize a swimmer in trouble.
- Provide close and constant attention to children you are supervising.
- Children, inexperienced swimmers, and boaters should wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets.
Media Contact: Randy Smith, Deputy Fire Marshal | Phone: (217) 403-7212 | Cell: (217) 840-9434