The Champaign Fire Department will conduct ice rescue training January 20, 21, and 22, 2016, at Kaufman Lake, 2702 W. Springfield Avenue in Champaign. Crews will be participating in skill stations designed to prompt crews to observe ice conditions and make appropriate scene size-ups, perform surface rescues from the ice, and safely remove victims from the ice.
There will be two sessions daily at 1:45 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. to allow for all on-duty crews to rotate through the stations. The media is encouraged to attend and requested to call in advance. Parking is available at Kaufman Park, 2702 W. Springfield Avenue.
The Point of Contact for this training is Lt. Dave Tomlinson or Deputy Fire Marshal Randy Smith.
The Champaign Fire Department reminds citizens to take these precautions this winter to stay safe outdoors:
- Wear appropriate outdoor clothing: layers of light, warm clothing; mittens; hats; scarves; and waterproof boots.
- Sprinkle cat litter or sand on icy patches.
- Be aware of the wind chill factor.
- Work slowly when doing outside chores.
- Take a buddy and an emergency kit when you are participating in outdoor recreation.
- Carry a cell phone.
Contact: Randy Smith | 217-403-7212