Public Works March Service Requests

Citizens and City staff submitted 426 total requests during March 2015. This was a 32% increase from February’s 289 calls. The chart below tracks the number of requests recorded each day by staff.


March Service Requests by Date

Citizens using the mobile phone application, SeeClickFix, reported 48 (11%) of the issues.


March Service Requests by Category

The Sewer Section responded to 62 (15%) miscellaneous requests and 48 (11%) sewer-related calls for a total of 110 (26%) service requests. Snow & Ice had a total of 102 (24%) requests. The Asphalt section was close with 96(23%) calls. The most frequent complaint was pothole repairs with 77 calls (18%). In second place was plow request with 46 (11%) calls.