The Cities of Champaign and Urbana, Champaign County, Parkland College, and the University of Illinois are proud to announce the award recipients for the 17th Annual Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Countywide Celebration. In keeping with this year’s theme “50 Years Past, 50 Years Forward…Our Future Dreamers,” the Committee focused on the achievements of youth and youth organizations in Champaign County.
The 2018 award recipients are:
- Valena Greene – Winner of the James R. Burgess, Jr. – Susan Freiburg Humanitarian Award – Social Justice
- Breanna Donald – Winner of the James R. Burgess, Jr. – Susan Freiburg Humanitarian Award – Peace and Non-Violence
- Girl Scout Troop 2207 – Winner of the Doris Hoskins Prestigious Community Service Award – Spirit of Love
- Alex Buffo – Winner of the Doris Hoskins Prestigious Community Service Award – Building Bridges
- C-U Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Girls Youth Group – Winner of the Doris Hoskins Prestigious Community Service Award – Building Bridges
- Breana Smith-Stuber – Winner of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Outstanding Achievement Award – Dream Award
Award recipients will be honored at the event on Friday, January 12, 2018, at Vineyard Church, 1500 N. Lincoln Avenue, Urbana at 4:00 p.m. The keynote speaker will be Sally Carter, Chief Executive Officer and founder of Tap In Leadership Academy. This event is free and open to the public.
For additional information about the Annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Countywide Celebration, visit mlkcelebration.org.
Contact: Rachel Joy, Community Relations Manager |217-403-8830 | email@example.com