Here are a few resources that may be helpful as households work through hardships due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
All information was accurate when posted but is subject to change without notice.
- Call 211 – If you need services such as food, counseling, and assistance, dial 211 to be connected to a real person who can guide you to the resources available to you. If your phone does not connect with 211, please use the toll-free number: 1-888-865-9903. 211 Website
- United Way COVID-19 Coronavirus Assistance
- List of C-U Community Resources (compiled by the UI School of Social Work’s Community Learning Lab and UniPlace Christian Church). Includes information on food distribution, shelter and housing assistance, legal aid, childcare, support groups, education and more.
Assistance with Rent, Mortgage, or Utilities
- COVID-19 Eviction Moratorium Information – English – Español
- Regional Planning Commission – COVID-19 relief for area households – CSBG COVID-19 Relief Program applications due 11/30/20.
- LIHEAP – Low-Income Home Energy Assistance
- City of Champaign Township – General Assistance
- New American Welcome Center – 217-417-5897 (español-français-中文)
- Ameren Illinois – On 11/18/20, Ameren suspended disconnections through 3/31/21. Customers who were disconnected before that date should call Ameren’s customer service line (1-800-755-5000) and explain if they are having hardship related to COVID and discuss their financial situation.
- Illinois American Water Company – If you are struggling to pay your water bill ask about IAWC’s H2O Help to Others Program at 1-800-422-2782.
- Urbana & Champaign Sanitary District – City of Champaign works with UCSD to write off past due sewer bills for qualifying households.
- Eastern Illinois Food Bank (includes list of community food pantries)
- Call 211. If your phone does not connect with 211, please use the toll-free number: 1-888-865-9903. 211 Website
- See if you qualify for SNAP (food stamps)
- Champaign Unit 4 Families
- Urbana Unit 116 Families
- File for unemployment with the Illinois Department of Employment Security
- Search for work through the Illinois Job Link
- Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District (MTD) is providing free bus rides.
- Information About Local Emergency Shelters, Warming Centers, & Soup Kitchens
Reliable Information About COVID-19
- Champaign-Urbana Public Health District
- Illinois Department of Public Health – Website | 24-hour COVID hotline (1-800-889-3931) | email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- State of Illinois COVID-19 Response
- Centers for Disease Control COVID-19 Information
- City of Champaign COVID-19 Information
- City of Urbana COVID-19 Information