Here are a few resources that may be helpful as individuals and households work through hardships and difficult times.
All information was accurate when posted but is subject to change without notice.
- Call 211 – If you need services such as food, counseling, and assistance, dial 211 to be connected to a real person who can guide you to the resources available to you. If your phone does not connect with 211, please use the toll-free number: 1-888-865-9903. 211 Website
- Information About Local Emergency Shelters, Warming Centers, & Soup Kitchens
- List of C-U Community Resources – Information on food distribution, shelter and housing assistance, support groups, childcare, clothing, immigrant needs, Internet, legal aid, medical, seniors, transportation and more. List compiled and maintained by the UI School of Social Work’s Community Learning Lab and UniPlace Christian Church.
- Student or school safety concerns? “Seek Help Before Harm.” Learn about resources and report concerns confidentially at safe2helpil.com.
- Suicide and Crisis Lifeline – Call or text 988 or visit 988lifeline.org/chat to talk with a caring counselor. Available 24×7.
Assistance with Rent, Mortgage, Utilities
- Mortgage assistance for those impacted by COVID-19 is available from the Illinois Housing Development Authority. Applications accepted at illinoishousinghelp.org/ilhaf through January 23, 2023.
- Rent and Mortgage Assistance due to COVID-19 Related Hardships
- Help Illinois Families Program – Assistance with Housing, Utilities, Water/Sewer Bills, Food, and Weatherization
- Illinois Rental Payment Program (rent assistance) – Sign up online. Review the FAQs –English/Español
- Habitat for Humanity of Champaign County can assist with rental assistance applications. Call 217-819-5113. Illinois Rental Payment Program FAQs: For Tenants | For Housing Providers
- State of Illinois Utility Disconnection Avoidance Program FAQs – Learn more at helpillinoisfamilies.com
- Regional Planning Commission – Emergency Rent Assistance
- LIHEAP – Low-Income Home Energy Assistance
- City of Champaign Township – General Assistance
- New American Welcome Center – 217-417-5897 (español-français-中文)
- Ameren Illinois – Those struggling to pay their bill should contact Ameren to discuss payment options.
- Illinois American Water Company – If you are struggling to pay your water bill ask about IAWC’s H2O Help to Others Program at 1-800-422-2782.
- Water/Wastewater Assistance Program
- Emergency Broadband Benefit – Need help affording Internet service or a computing device? Learn about the FCC’s Emergency Broadband Benefit and apply by visiting fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit or call 833-511-0311.
- Comcast Internet Essentials – Low cost/free home internet service for qualifying households
- Boost Mobile – Free mobile phone service for qualifying households
- Eastern Illinois Food Bank (includes list of community food pantries)
- Call 211. If your phone does not connect with 211, please use the toll-free number: 1-888-865-9903. 211 Website
- See if you qualify for SNAP (food stamps)