Here are a few resources that may be helpful as individuals and households work through hardships and difficult times.
All information was accurate when posted but is subject to change without notice.
- Call 211 – If you need services such as food, counseling, and assistance, dial 211 to be connected to a real person who can guide you to the resources available to you. If your phone does not connect with 211, please use the toll-free number: 1-888-865-9903. 211 Website
- Information About Local Emergency Shelters, Warming Centers, & Soup Kitchens
- List of C-U Community Resources – Information on food distribution, shelter and housing assistance, support groups, childcare, clothing, immigrant needs, Internet, legal aid, medical, seniors, transportation and more. List compiled and maintained by the UI School of Social Work’s Community Learning Lab and UniPlace Christian Church.
- United Way COVID-19 Coronavirus Assistance
Assistance with Rent, Mortgage, Utilities
- Illinois Rental Payment Program (rent assistance) – Sign up online. Review the FAQs –English/Español
- COVID-19 Mortgage Payment Relief Program – English/Español
- COVID-19 Eviction Moratorium Information – English – Español
- State of Illinois Utility Disconnection Avoidance Program FAQs – Learn more at helpillinoisfamilies.com
- Regional Planning Commission – Emergency Rent Assistance
- LIHEAP – Low-Income Home Energy Assistance
- City of Champaign Township – General Assistance
- New American Welcome Center – 217-417-5897 (español-français-中文)
- Ameren Illinois – Ameren has suspended disconnections through 3/31/21. Those struggling to pay their bill should contact Ameren to discuss payment options.
- Illinois American Water Company – If you are struggling to pay your water bill ask about IAWC’s H2O Help to Others Program at 1-800-422-2782.
- Urbana & Champaign Sanitary District – City of Champaign works with UCSD to write off past due sewer bills for qualifying households.
- Emergency Broadband Benefit – Need help affording Internet service or a computing device? Learn about the FCC’s Emergency Broadband Benefit and apply by visiting fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit or call 833-511-0311.
- Eastern Illinois Food Bank (includes list of community food pantries)
- Call 211. If your phone does not connect with 211, please use the toll-free number: 1-888-865-9903. 211 Website
- See if you qualify for SNAP (food stamps)
- Champaign Unit 4 Families
- Urbana Unit 116 Families