Here are a few resources that may be helpful as households work through hardships due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
All information was accurate when posted but is subject to change without notice.
- Call 211 – If you need services such as food, counseling, and assistance, dial 211 to be connected to a real person who can guide you to the resources available to you. If your phone does not connect with 211, please use the toll-free number: 1-888-865-9903. 211 Website
- List of C-U Community Resources – Information on food distribution, shelter and housing assistance, support groups, childcare, clothing, immigrant needs, Internet, legal aid, medical, seniors, transportation and more. List compiled and maintained by the UI School of Social Work’s Community Learning Lab and UniPlace Christian Church.
- United Way COVID-19 Coronavirus Assistance
Assistance with Rent, Mortgage, or Utilities
- Regional Planning Commission Emergency Rent Assistance Program – For Champaign County residents with past-due rent and utility bills. Get started by calling 877-548-4205 between 12-7 pm on Tuesdays, Thursdays, or Saturdays. Review full program details.
- COVID-19 Eviction Moratorium Information – English – Español
- Regional Planning Commission – COVID-19 relief for area households
- LIHEAP – Low-Income Home Energy Assistance
- City of Champaign Township – General Assistance
- New American Welcome Center – 217-417-5897 (español-français-中文)
- Ameren Illinois – Ameren has suspended disconnections through 3/31/21. Those struggling to pay their bill should contact Ameren to discuss payment options.
- Illinois American Water Company – If you are struggling to pay your water bill ask about IAWC’s H2O Help to Others Program at 1-800-422-2782.
- Urbana & Champaign Sanitary District – City of Champaign works with UCSD to write off past due sewer bills for qualifying households.
- Eastern Illinois Food Bank (includes list of community food pantries)
- Call 211. If your phone does not connect with 211, please use the toll-free number: 1-888-865-9903. 211 Website
- See if you qualify for SNAP (food stamps)
- Champaign Unit 4 Families
- Urbana Unit 116 Families
- File for unemployment with the Illinois Department of Employment Security
- Search for work through the Illinois Job Link
- Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District (MTD) is providing free bus rides.
- Information About Local Emergency Shelters, Warming Centers, & Soup Kitchens
Reliable Information About COVID-19
- Champaign-Urbana Public Health District
- Illinois Department of Public Health – Website | 24-hour COVID hotline (1-800-889-3931) | email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- State of Illinois COVID-19 Response
- Centers for Disease Control COVID-19 Information
- City of Champaign COVID-19 Information
- City of Urbana COVID-19 Information