- About The Department
- File an Online Report
- Department Services
- Alarm Permits & Renewals
- Background Check
- BEST Security Training
- Car Seat Safety Inspections
- Emergency Notification for Businesses
- Expungement & Sealing of Records
- Fingerprint Services
- Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Request
- Parking Permit
- Project ChildSafe
- Request Copy of a Police Report
- Security Camera Registration
- Services Overview
- Special Event Application
- 21st Century Policing
- Community Engagement
- Community Involvement at Champaign Police
- Community Conversations
- Champaign County Community Coalition
- City Government 101
- Coffee with a Cop
- Community Outreach Request
- Neighborhood Watch
- Police Department Tours
- Police Liaisons
- Risk Watch Program
- School Resource Officer Program
- Youth Police Explorer Post 258
- Youth Police Academy
- Community Police Academy
- News & Data
- Contact Us
- Meet the Staff
Holiday Shopping Safety
When the holiday shopping season gets underway, Police generally see an increase in vehicle burglaries near shopping centers and on campus.
Citizens are encouraged to be alert and to practice these simple safety tips to avoid being targeted by potential burglars.
- Pay attention to anyone who appears to be loitering in the parking lot and remain attentive at all times. Thieves will target victims who are distracted or on their cell phones and may even create a distraction themselves to pickpocket or steal.
- When possible, choose well lit parking spaces in areas closer to main entrances.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Pay for purchases with a check or credit card, when possible. CLICK HERE for information on how to protect yourself from identity theft.
- Never leave your purchases unattended, even for a few minutes. Leaving your purchases in plain view may make you a thief’s next victim.
- Don’t hang your purse on the back of a chair in a restaurant. Keep it in plain view at all times.
- Ensure that children are not left alone in video arcades, toy stores or restrooms. Point out security guards, so your child knows where to go for help, if lost.
- Shop during daylight hours, whenever possible. When doing large amounts of shopping at night, invite a friend or family member to go with you.
- Secure bags and valuables in your trunk when hitting multiple stores for your shopping. Always, always keep your doors locked.
- Perfectly wrapped gifts under a tree are attractive to potential burglars — don’t display gifts in open windows that can be easily seen.
See Something, Say Something. Call 9-1-1 immediately should a crime occur or if you notice suspicious activity while out shopping or in your neighborhood.
Police Department News
Champaign Police Department
82 E. University Ave.
Champaign, IL 61820
Front Desk: 217-351-4545