Many licenses and permits are issued by the Finance Department.  If you have any questions about the licenses or the process, please contact the Finance Department at 217-403-8940.  For information pertaining to these licenses, please review the City Code.  For information regarding building permits contact the Building Safety Division.

Access the City’s Business Portal and select Business Licenses to find and print an application form for the various City licenses.  You will need to bring your completed application form and any fee due, to the Finance Department at the Champaign City Building, 102 N. Neil St., 2nd floor, Champaign.  Our office is open Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.

The City of Champaign does NOT require a business license for a majority of business types, although there are several that do require special approvals.

You can also find information on the City’s Partner Agency Licensing (required in Champaign but administered by a separate agency) on the City’s Business Portal.  This includes information related to Taxi Cabs and Liveries (licensed by the City of Urbana).  You can also find information related to food or drink establishments (licensed by the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District).  The food service health permit application can be found here.