Permit Menu

Right-of-Way Occupancy Permit
Right-of-Way Excavation Permit
Drive Approach Permit
Sanitary Sewer Permit
Storm Sewer Permit
Sidewalk Permit
Grading and Drainage Permit



Right-of-way shall mean property owned by the City for use by the public as a means of passage; and shall include the street, alley, sidewalks, and parkway.  It is intended for traffic movement, utilities, and similar public uses such as roads, clear zones for traffic safety, sidewalks and pathways for pedestrian safety, utility services above, at, and below ground, and for snow storage. A right-of-way generally extends 25 to 33 feet from the centerline of the road onto the lawn area.

During the winter season, the right-of-way behind the roadway is reserved for snow storage to expedite snow removal. This area may extend seven feet or more beyond the road edge. Landscaping in these areas is limited to topsoil and seeding only.

Rights-of-way vary in width, with most being 50 to 66 feet wide.


The Street Section is responsible for the mowing of City-owned vacant lots. The Champaign Park District maintains certain lots designated for the future Boneyard Creek projects under contract. The City also maintains the mowing of certain ditch lines and overpasses in the rural areas that are deemed “un-mowable” (deep ditch lines, etc.). All other parkway maintenance is the responsibility of the property owner.


Permits are required by the Champaign Municipal Code and are discussed in further detail in Chapter 30, which covers Streets, Sidewalks and Public Ways. Section 30-400 states that “Except pursuant to a permit issued by the City, no person shall construct any facility,or perform any work on a facility, on, over, above, along, upon, under, across, or within any City right-of-way or occupy City right-of-way.”  The person performing work shall furnish the City Engineer with evidence of insurance coverage naming the City of Champaign as an additional insured. A $10,000 bond is required for excavations in public ways. The City Engineer’s representative reserves office hours for the purpose of issuing permits from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday at the Public Works Department, 702 Edgebrook Drive.

Right-of-Way Occupancy Permit:

The City Engineer is empowered to issue a right-of-way occupancy permit for any use of City streets or other public property of periods of no longer than 180 days for construction purposes.

Fees for issuance of a temporary permit pursuant to this section shall be as follows:

For Up to 7 Days For Each Day 8-180
Major Arterial Street
Minor Arterial Street
Commercial Collector Street
Residential Collector Street
Local Street
$6.00/1/2 alley/day

*Fee waived if adjacent street permit is issued on same date.

Fees for total closure of the street shall be double the lane fees.

Occupancy of a traffic lane requires payment for the adjacent on-street parking, if metered.

Right-of-Way Excavation Permit:

Section 30-430 of the Champaign Municipal Code states “no excavations or trenches in any public right-of-way in the City for any purpose including but not limited to sewer, drain, water, gas, steam, electrical, telephone, cable, video, internet, or other communication services and lines shall be made without first obtaining a permit from the Director of Public Works as provided in this Article”. The permit fee is $25.

Drive Approach Permit:

A driveway approach permit shall mean that part of a driveway or of any asphalt or concrete surface or pavement located in public right-of-way. A permit is required for any work covering the construction, maintenance or repair of a driveway approach. The permit fee is $70.

Sanitary Sewer Permit:

No person shall install, connect or replace any private or public sewer without first obtaining any necessary approval and permits from the City Engineer, the Urbana Champaign Sanitary District and the Environmental Protection Agency of the State. The City fee for the permit is $70.

Storm Sewer Permit:

A permit is required to make a new connection or modification to an existing connection to the stormwater drainage system or to make any connection, which causes stormwater runoff to empty into the stormwater drainage system. The permit fee is $70.

Sidewalk Permit:

A permit is required to construct, maintain or repair a sidewalk in the right-of-way. The permit fee is $70 per 100 lineal feet or part thereof.

Grading and Drainage Permit:

A permit is required for all construction/improvements with 500-sq. ft. or more of new impervious area. A grading and drainage permit plan will need to be submitted with the permit application. Information required on the grading and drainage permit plan includes (most of this information can be found on the subdivision plans or interpolated from them):

  • Lot corner elevations.
  • Building pad elevations.
  • Lowest finished floor elevation.
  • Surface water flow patterns.
  • Statement that the project is (is not) within 100 feet of a 100-year floodplain.
  • If the project is within 100 feet of a 100-year floodplain, the boundaries (if on the site) and elevation of the floodplain must be indicated, and the lowest floor of any habitable building must be at least 1 foot above the 100 year flood elevation.

All new construction and renovations that are not in a floodplain require a grading and drainage permit before work starts, except a permit is not required for:

  • Excavation or fill less than 50 CY, with less than a 4-foot cut, disturbing less than 5,000 SF of plant cover.
  • Any interior remodeling.
  • Additions, remodeling, or accessory structures smaller than 500 SF which disturb less than 2,000 SF on the site.
  • Demolition.
  • Accessory items with minimal impact on drainage like: Sidewalks, playground equipment, decks, small patios, athletic fields, etc.

Development within a floodplain is much more tightly restricted. If you are working within a floodplain, call Public Works at 217-403-4700 for details.  If you don’t know whether or not you are within a floodplain, call Public Works or search for your address at

Permit fee schedule, effective April 1, 1998:

  • 1 & 2 family new construction and additions, $50
  • Commercial new construction and additions, with total impervious area under 15,000 SF, $200
  • Commercial, with total impervious area between 15,000 SF and 75,000 SF, $400
  • Commercial new construction and additions, with total impervious area over 75,000 SF, $600
  • Construction in flood fringe, take above rates x 1.5
  • Construction in floodway, take above rates x 2.0

Erosion Control Information

For more information on these permits contact:

Public Works Department
702 Edgebrook Drive
Champaign, IL 61820
Phone: 217-403-4700