City Council Meetings Temporarily Conducted Electronically
Pursuant to Governor Pritzker’s Executive Order 2020-07 (COVID-19 Executive Order No. 5), which suspends the requirement of the Illinois Open Meetings Act requiring in-person attendance by members of a public body during the duration of the Gubernatorial Disaster Proclamation, the members of the Champaign City Council will not be physically present in Council Chambers for their next meeting, but will instead be participating in the meeting using a virtual meeting platform. A general overview of the process to watch and provide public comment for the Council meeting are provided on this webpage. For the complete list of rules please review the Temporary Rules document.
How to Watch the City Council Meetings
Meetings of the Champaign City Council continue to be available for live public viewing on the City’s website (champaignil.gov/CGTV) and on the City’s government access channel – CGTV (Comcast & i3 Broadband channel 5, U-verse channel 99). Meeting recordings will also be replayed on CGTV and available for on-demand viewing at champaignil.gov/CGTV. Please note there can be a delay of up to 90 seconds between the live meeting and the signal shown by your television service provider or the live stream.
How to Provide Public Comment
The City encourages residents to continue to provide public comment regarding Council business. To promote social distancing, the City Council will be meeting electronically and in-person public comment is temporarily unavailable.
Public comments may be provided during the City Council meeting by joining the electronic meeting via computer or telephone. This meeting will be conducted using the Zoom meeting platform and members of the public may join the meeting by:
- Following the Zoom link below:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81990405811?pwd=ZXdRQzR1THlNU1RMSzJSbTVsaGswQT09 | Password: 104987, or
- Calling 312-626-6799 and entering the meeting ID and password shown below:
Meeting ID: 819 9040 5811 | Password: 104987
At the appropriate points in the meeting and in accordance with Council Rules, the Mayor (or Presiding Officer) will call for public comments. Individuals wishing to speak should either click the “Raise Hand” button (for those attending via computer) or dial *9 (for those attending via telephone). When an individual is called upon to provide comments, the microphone will be unmuted. The individual will be requested to state his or her name, city of residence and to limit comments to 5 minutes or less. After the individual is done speaking, the microphone will be muted for that individual and the next individual will be called upon to provide comments.
Written Public Comments Received for Prior Electronic City Council Meetings
Public comments were submitted in writing for the electronic City Council meetings listed below. Those comments are posted here for public review and will be included in each meeting’s official minutes. Public comments are provided verbatim and unedited.
- Public Comments Received for April 7, 2020 City Council Meeting
- Public Comments Received for April 14, 2020 City Council Meeting
- Public Comments Received for April 21, 2020 City Council Meeting
- Public Comments Received for May 5, 2020 City of Champaign Township Meeting
- Public Comments Received for May 5, 2020 City Council Meeting
- Public Comments Received for May 12, 2020 City Council Meeting
- Public Comments Received for May 19, 2020 City Council Meeting
- Public Comments Received for June 2, 2020 City of Champaign Township Meeting
- Public Comments Received for June 2, 2020 City Council Meeting
- Public Comments Received for June 9, 2020 City Council Meeting