In an effort to take proactive measures to protect the health and safety of our community, the meeting of the Champaign County Community Coalition scheduled for today (March 11, 2020) has been canceled. As the Community Coalition meetings regularly attract more than 100 people to collaborate together on community issues, organizers decided it would be prudent to postpone today’s discussion amidst growing concerns of the coronavirus, or COVID-19. The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District is a member of the Community Coalition and concurs that taking steps to reduce large community gatherings is a positive, proactive measure.
The Community Coalition reminds members of the community of the importance of following public health guidelines to protect against the spread of disease, including COVID-19:
• Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
• When soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
• Avoid contact with people who are sick.
• Stay home while you are sick.
• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing then properly dispose of it in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Residents are encouraged to consult reputable sources of information about COVID-19, including the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District and the Centers for Disease Control.