Upon making his announcement, Schnuer said, “I am honored to have had such a long and meaningful career of public service to the residents of the City of Champaign. I am proud to have helped implement sound and responsible fiscal policies, and safeguards that have resulted in the City’s strong financial position, balanced budgets, and the City’s AAA bond rating. I’ve enjoyed a wonderful career in Champaign and look forward to spending more time on personal interests as I start a new chapter in my life.”
Schnuer has served the City of Champaign for more than 31 years, and spent 38 years in public service. After receiving his MBA from the Booth School of Business at the University of Chicago, Schnuer’s career path included working for the Federal government, the State of Illinois, and two other municipalities. Schnuer started work as the City of Champaign’s Finance Director on September 3, 1985.
City Manager Dorothy David said, “Richard has had a profound effect on the fiscal stability and the proactive policies adopted by the City of Champaign. He is a nationally respected figure in the field of local government finance and will be missed. On behalf of the City of Champaign, I thank Richard for his long and loyal service to our community.”
During 31 year as Finance Director, Schnuer worked with elected officials and staff to secure funding for several major City projects and initiatives. Some of his proudest accomplishments include:
- Securing funding for major City infrastructure projects such as the Boneyard Creek improvements, expanded transportation infrastructure, and regular maintenance of storm and sanitary sewers
- Financing new or improved City facilities, including two new fire stations and the police department expansion
- Supporting economic development initiatives around the community, including the revitalization of Downtown Champaign, Campustown, the former Burnham Hospital site, and the Hill Street Parking Deck
- Securing and maintaining the City’s excellent AAA bond rating since 2005
- Maintaining a well-funded employee pension program
- Receiving awards for excellence in the City’s annual financial reports and budget documents, and increased services such as timely payments to vendors and collection of fees and taxes
Schnuer adds, “These accomplishments would not have been possible without the City’s dedicated and professional staff and the leadership of past and present City Managers, Mayors, and City Council members. Only by working together could the City make so many important and prudent financial decisions and be as fiscally strong as we’ve become.”
Schnuer is an active member and serves on a committee of the Government Finance Officers Association. He is also Past-President and an active member of the Illinois Government Finance Officers Association. He is a published author and has spoken both nationally and internationally about government financial policies and practices.
The City of Champaign will launch a nationwide search for a new Finance Director in January 2017.
Contact: Richard Schnuer | 217-403-8940 | [email protected]