CITY OF CHAMPAIGN PREPARES FOR FORECASTED RAIN AND WIND
The City of Champaign Public Works Department is mobilizing resources in preparation for the rainfall forecasted to affect our area today and tonight. According to the National Weather Service, periods of heavy rainfall and high wind gusts may accompany this storm. Citizens are encouraged to take appropriate precautions when driving as some streets and intersections may contain large amounts of rainfall. Any flooding of streets should be reported to the Public Works Department at 217.403.4700. Citizens are also reminded that the National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch until 5:00 p.m. this evening, and should monitor appropriate broadcast channels for further information.
The Public Works Department has outlined the following steps in order to prepare for and address the potential rainfall and wind:
• Sweep streets, clean viaducts, and monitor inlets in typical flood problem areas.
• Crews will monitor streets and inlets throughout the day and evening.
• Arborists are on standby for the potential of downed limbs or damaged trees.
• Monitor detention basins during the rainfall, utilizing pumps as necessary.
• Citizens are asked to assist with preparation activities by clearing inlets in their neighborhoods of debris.
Public Works staff will continue to proactively monitor forecasts and respond in a timely and efficient manner to threats of inclement weather.