The City of Champaign Fire Department wants to remind our community of the hazards related to turkey frying during this holiday season. The use of turkey fryers can lead to devastating burns, destruction of property and other injuries if not used properly.
Champaign Fire Department Turkey Fryer Safety Tips
- Turkey fryers should always be used outdoors at a safe distance from structures.
- Never use fryers under patio covers, on wooden decks or in garages.
- Use fryers on flat surfaces to reduce the possibility of accidental tipping.
- Never leave the fryer unattended.
- Keep children and pets away from the fryer at all times.
- Do not overfill the fryer. This may result in a “spill-over” of hot oil.
- The turkey must be completely thawed to avoid oil splattering and “boil-over.”
- Choose a smaller (10-12 lbs) turkey to fry to reduce the potential for accidents.
- Never use water to extinguish a grease fire.
If a turkey fryer fire should occur call 911 immediately