Subdivision Regulations concern the dividing of tracts of land in the City and within 1.5 miles of the City Limits. The Subdivision Regulations are Chapter 31 of the City Code. Technical standards are published in the Manual of Practice to support the Subdivision Regulations.
Manual of Practice
The Manual of Practice is the City’s technical standard for preparation of plats and design documents, and is also the standard for construction of public infrastructure that is under the City’s jurisdiction. The primary users of this Manual are architects, engineers, planners, and other design professionals who are designing private developments and public infrastructure. This is also used by contractors and developers in the course of their work.
Among other things, the manual covers the technical aspects of plat preparation, bonding, construction plan preparation, vehicular access control policies, NPDES Phase II requirements, street tree requirements, existing ROW (Right-of-Way) construction requirements, and design and construction standards for all major City infrastructure systems.
The Manual of Practice is an administrative document. Items in the Manual can be waived and revised administratively if certain burdens of proof are met. The City Engineer or Planning Director (as appropriate) together with the City Attorney must approve such revisions and notify the Plan Commission of the change. A form is included in the front of the manual to request revisions. Excluding emergency items, any revision requests will be filed and processed once per year.
Table of Contents
All documents in the Manual of Practice are provided in PDF format. You can select individual chapters from the table below.
- Subdivision Regulations
- Administrative Revision Request Form
- Administrative Revision Log
- Administrative Revisions
- Chapter 1 Administrative Procedures
- Chapter 2 Preliminary Plat
- Chapter 3 Final Plat
- Chapter 4 Minor Plat
- Chapter 5 Certificate of Exemption
- Chapter 6 Construction Plans and Specifications
- Chapter 7 Sub Construction Inspect and Bonding
- Chapter 8 Location and Geometric Requirements
- Chapter 9 Vehicular Access Control Standards
- Chapter 10 Pavement Standards
- Chapter 11 Sidewalk Standards
- Chapter 12 Traffic Control and Regulatory Signage
- Chapter 13 Right-of-Way Lighting Standards
- Chapter 14 Traffic Signal Standards
- Chapter 15 General Utility Requirements
- Chapter 16 Dedication & Vacation of Easements & Right-Of-Way
- Chapter 17 Storm Sewer Standards
- Chapter 18 Sanitary Sewer Standards
- Chapter 19 Hydrologic Design Standards
- Chapter 20 Culvert and Ditch Standards
- Chapter 21 Earthwork Standards
- Chapter 22 Erosion Control NPDES Standards
- Chapter 23 Detention Basin Standards
- Chapter 24 Right-of-Way Street Tree Standards
- Chapter 25 ROW – Private Site Design Construction Standards
- Chapter 26 University District Streetscape Standards
- APPENDIX A UCSD Sanitary Sewer Standards
- APPENDIX B STORMWATER REGULATIONS
- APPENDIX C SUBDIVISION BOND TEMPLATES
- Appendix D Material Standards