Streetlights, Signs, and Traffic Signals

Traffic Signals

Page Menu:


If you have noticed a streetlight that is out, dim or blinking, please call 217.403.4700 during the normal working hours of 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  You can also report a streetlight malfunction by e-mailing us:

The following information is useful to identify a specific light:

  • Address where the light is positioned on the street.
  • Side of the street the light is on.
  • Please leave your name and a daytime phone number so we may call with questions if necessary.

Once a report has been made, the City will determine who owns the light. If it is a City-owned light, efforts to repair the light within 48 hours are made. If it is an Ameren Illinois light, the City will notify Ameren of a problem and they are responsible for repairing the light.

Back to top of page


Street Signs

StopSignTo report a sign knockdown or missing sign during normal working hours of 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., please contact Public Works at 217.403.4700 or

To report a sign knockdown or missing sign after hours, please call 217.531.3155.

Honorary Street Name Designations

The Public Works Department processes all honorary street requests.  Champaign City Council has limited honorary street designations to four approved designations per year.

Traffic Service Requests:

Concerns, requests, and suggestions regarding traffic safety are considered Traffic Service Requests. Generally, these requests ask for something new or for a change to an existing condition. Some examples of common Traffic Service Requests include:

  • Installation of stop signs
  • Changes to parking restrictions
  • Issues related to crosswalks
  • School area concerns
  • Concerns regarding speed of traffic in residential neighborhoods

Requests can be submitted by contacting the Public Works Department at 217.403.4700 or

Back to top of page

green-light-1992Traffic Signals

To report a traffic signal outage or malfunction during normal working hours of 7:30 a.m.  to 4:30 p.m., please contact Public Works at 217.403.4700.   You can also report routine signal outages or malfunctions on our website:

For after-hours emergency traffic signal problems, please call  217.531.3155.

Back to top of page


HAWK Pedestrian Signal

View larger image of the new HAWK Signal in place on Bradley Avenue.

The HAWK Signal on Bradley Avenue.

How a HAWK signal works

Why a HAWK at this location?

Bus stops located on both sides of Bradley Avenue at Developmental Services Center are highly utilized by patrons of DSC and area residents. This section of Bradley Avenue is perpetually on the list of streets with speeding problems with the majority of drivers regularly driving 10 or more miles per hour over the posted 35 mph speed limit. Over the years, the City of Champaign and Developmental Services Center have worked together to use all available tools for an uncontrolled pedestrian crossing to make it as safe as possible. The HAWK takes the next step for enhancing pedestrian safety by requiring vehicular traffic to stop.

For more information contact:
Public Works Department
702 Edgebrook Drive
Champaign, IL 61820
Phone: 217.403.4700

Back to top of page