The Champaign Police Department is reminding local businesses and delivery drivers of important safety tips and to remain vigilant. Since Nov. 1, 2018, Champaign Police have received nine reports of delivery robberies, mostly to pizza delivery drivers completing an order. In each known event, the suspects are believed to have only stolen food after verbally threatening physical harm to the driver.
The robberies are under investigation.
Safety Reminders for Delivery Drivers:
- Limit cash on hand and in your vehicle. If needed, drop off unnecessary cash back at your place of business.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and note any suspicious activity, such as vehicles which may be following you, individuals loitering, or a house that appears dark and unoccupied upon arrival for delivery.
- If something does not feel right, take precaution and return to your business. Call the customer and confirm the details of the delivery.
- Do not be redirected to a different address or location after the original order is placed.
- Park as close as possible to the delivery location in a well-lit area.
If a robbery does occur, remain calm and comply with the robber’s demands. As best possible, try and recall details of the robbery and, most importantly, call 9-1-1 as soon as possible.
If you have information on individuals carrying out crimes of this or similar nature, please contact police at 217-351-4545. Anyone wishing to remain anonymous may also submit tips to Crime Stoppers by phone at: 217-373-8477 (TIPS); online at 373tips.com; or the “P3 Tips” mobile app.
Champaign Police reminds citizens information submitted to Crime Stoppers is completely anonymous. Calls are routed to a third-party national call center that receives your information, completes a tips information form, and then passes the information to the appropriate law enforcement agency. Caller ID tracking is not utilized by Crime Stoppers and conversations are not recorded.