The Champaign Fire Department is providing fire department personnel with water rescue training on the mornings of July 10, 11 and 12, at Baytowne Apartments, 1000 Baytowne Drive, Champaign. Champaign Fire Department instructors will lead skill stations designed to simulate a surface water rescue and reinforce cervical immobilization and victim removal skills.
The Champaign Fire Department reminds residents to take these safety precautions when in and around water.
- Always swim with a buddy; do not allow anyone to swim alone.
- Swim in designated areas supervised by lifeguards.
- Learn how to recognize a swimmer in trouble.
- Provide close and constant attention to children you are supervising.
- Children, inexperienced swimmers, and boaters should wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets.
Media Contact: Randy Smith, Deputy Fire Marshal | Phone: (217) 403-7212