On Thursday, October 22 at 7:00 p.m., the Champaign Fire Department will host the first ever Edward M. Hoffman Awards Ceremony. This event will honor devoted citizens and those Emergency Medical Technicians, Paramedics, Champaign Firefighters, and Champaign Police Officers who have displayed exemplary service to those they serve and protect during a fire or emergency medical event.
This awards ceremony commemorates and honors Edward M. Hoffman, a Champaign firefighter who died in the line of duty on March 5, 1960.
After consideration by the awards committee, twelve awards will be presented during this first Edward M. Hoffman Awards Ceremony:
- Edward M. Hoffman – Medal of Honor; Posthumously, received by Edward Hoffman Family.
- Current and Past Members of the Champaign Firefighters Honor Guard – Award of Commendation; for many years of commendable service that has raised the standards of the Fire Department.
- Captain (Retired) Dave Boberg, Engineer Jon Jenkins, Lieutenant Rick Sebens, and Firefighter Greg Elliott – Company/Unit Citation; for unequaled team effort in the rescue of an occupant at a working fire at 2306 S. Mattis Ave. on February 21, 2015.
- Captain Kent Cobb and Engineer Brad Peck – Chief’s Letter of Recognition; for efforts in stopping a large body of fire at 604 E. White St. on May 12, 2015.
- Lieutenant Chris Zaremba, Engineer Jeff Ballew, Firefighter Jesse Rivera, Captain Roger Cruse, Engineer JP Childers, and Firefighter Matt Quinlan – Chief’s Letter of Recognition; for efforts to contain a fire to the apartment of origin and locate and remove an occupant in the adjacent apartment at 1903 Karen Court on February 22, 2015.
- Captain Dorval Norwood – Chief’s Letter of Recognition; for leadership and service to the Champaign Fire Department Explorers Program.
- Engineer Josh Jessup – Chief’s Letter of Recognition; for efforts to implement a Peer Support Program at the Champaign Fire Department.
- Lieutenant Dave Tomlinson – Chief’s Letter of Recognition; for successful efforts to secure a Department of Homeland Security Fire Prevention & Safety Grant.
- Division of Building Safety – Chief’s Letter of Recognition; for exemplary service in processing $243 million in new building construction permits and plans.
- Lieutenant Wally Worley, Engineer Bill Albin, and Engineer Barry Miller – Baby Delivery Pin; for baby delivery on May 4, 2015.
- Lieutenant Mike King, Engineer Chip Haake, Firefighter Zach Williams, Champaign Police Department Officer David McLearin, Arrow Medics Magdalena Kornacki and Jeffrey Kiesling – CPR Save Pin; for efforts on September 4, 2015.
- Lieutenant Mike King, Lieutenant Bill Painter, Firefighter John Behrens, Arrow Medics Kayla Cook and Lincoln Scheiding – CPR Save Pin; for efforts on October 25, 2014 Civilians Tom Henderson and Brian McQuaid – Chief’s Letter of Recognition.
The ceremony will take place at Champaign Fire Department Headquarters, 307 S. Randolph Street.
Contact: Randy Smith, Deputy Fire Marshal | Phone: (217) 403-7212 / Cell: (217) 840-9434